- Stopham House was the home of the Barttelot family since the 14th Century, when their eldest son married the heiress to Stopham Manor. Architecturally the house has been significantly extended over the centuries.
In 1977 the house was sympathetically converted to provide individual apartments.
Undeniably grand and imposing and set in pretty parkland, the Stopham House of today is a singularly ugly confection of rebuilds and additions (1787, 1842, 1865, 1887 and 1898) that conceal within them a hall and some adjoining rooms from the Tudor period. It has been divided into nineteen flats, and the squire has retreated to a more manageably-sized house on the hill, an attractive 1950s pastiche of the Queen Anne style.